Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dreaming Big vs. Reality

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is, this summer I am attending the Parsons Summer Seminars!! It is my dream to attend Parsons for college, and this program gives me a taste of what life would be like if I went there. Notice how I used the words "would be"?

And that brings on the bad news.

As my mother was telling me that she had singed me up, adding how hard financially it was to do so, she just happened to mention that she will not send me to Parsons for college. Smooth way of bringing that up, Mom. It is not that she doesn't want me to go to college there, it is that we cannot afford it, and my family refuses to do student loans. So what happens? Not only did they FAIL to bring up the topic smoothly (remember how I said it was my first choice?) but they asked me to consider UNO, which is a small (crappy) college here in New Orleans. Do my dreams mean nothing to them? I tried to bring it up and they kept shooting me down, and they didn't even do it nicely. It was like they were saying "Hey, we are sending you to the summer program but you're not going there so don't get your hopes up (imagine a very casual, non-chalant attitude)." Thanks for being supportive, you guys.


So now it's the classic case of dreams vs. reality; what is a girl to do?
Lets break it down:

Dreams: To go to Parsons and to study fashion design.
Reality: My parents won't pay for it.

I started saving money not too long ago, but not the type of money I need.


What does a girl do in such a situation? Follow her dreams or edit them to make everyone else happy?
p.s. I'm going to visit my friend Emily next week; that may be the best thing for me right now. I CAN'T WAIT!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment